Vikre Distillery Wins National Award
10best.com has named Duluth's own Vikre Distillery as the best craft specialty spirits distillery in the United States of America.
Vikre Distillery beat out other distilleries from all over the nation, including another distillery in Minneapolis.
The description given to Vikre by 10best.com was "Local grains, wild botanicals, oak barrels handcrafted in Minnesota and clean Lake Superior waters go into the distilled spirits from Vikre Distillery. The owner's Norwegian roots shine through in the aged and un-aged Aquavits, made from malted barley, fermented, distilled and infused with warm Scandinavian spices."
The full top 10 list goes:
- Vikre Distillery - Duluth, Minn.
- Headframe Spirits - Butte, Mont.
- Huber's Starlight Distillery - Starlight, Ind.
- Black Button Distilling - Rochester, N.Y.
- Copper & Kings - Louisville
- Tattersall Distilling - Minneapolis
- Tamworth Distilling - Tamworth, N.H.
- Las Vegas Distillery - Henderson, Nev.
- Rhine Hall - Chicago
- Feisty Spirits - Fort Collins, Colo.
This isn't the first time that 10best.com has given the top spot on a list to something in Duluth. Back in late July, the same website named the Lake Superior Railroad Museum the best transportation museum in the United States.