FDA Adds To List Of Hand Sanitizers Found To Contain Methanol
Recently, the FDA warned consumers of nine hand sanitizers found to contain methanol. They have now added five more products to the list.
The FDA is diligent in looking for hand sanitizers that claim to contain ethanol (also known as ethyl alcohol) but test positive for methanol contamination.
Methanol, or wood alcohol, is a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested and can be life-threatening when ingested. Blindness, hospitalizations and death have been reported from adults and children ingesting the substance.
The five additional hand sanitizer products that have been added include:
- Grupo Insoma's Hand Sanitizer Gel Unscented 70% Alcohol (with NDC numbers 75744-0200-3; 75744-0200-4; 75744-0201-5; 75744-0202-1; 75744-0250-1; 75744-0250-2; 75744-0500-1; 75744-1000-1; 75744-1000-3; 75744-1001-1)
- Transliquid Technologies' Mystic Shield Protection hand sanitizer (with NDC numbers 75477-435-02; 75477-435-10; 75477-435-12; 75477-435-25; 75477-435-50; 75477-534-10)
- Soluciones Cosmeticas SA de CV's Bersih Hand Sanitizer Gel Fragrance Free (with NDC numbers 75165-003-02; 75165-004-01; 75165-005-01; 75165-006-01; 75165-008-01; 75165-250-01; 75165-600-01)
- Soluciones Cosmeticas SA de CV's Antiseptic Alcohol 70% Topical Solution hand sanitizer (no NDC numbers listed)
- Tropicosmeticos SA de CV's Britz Hand Sanitizer Ethyl Alcohol 70% (with NDC numbers 76676-402-01; 77676-402-02; 77676-402-03; 77676-402-04; 77676-402-05; 77676-402-06; 77676-402-07; 77676-402-08; 77676-402-09; 77676-402-10; 77676-402-11; 77676-402-12; 77676-402-13; 77676-402-14; 77676-402-16; 77676-402-17; 77676-402-18; 77676-402-19; 77676-402-20)
While all of these products were manufactured in Mexico, the COVID-19 pandemic has caused a shortage of hand sanitizer at times and there have been advertisements on social media from unfamiliar companies offering the much in demand product. It could be easy to purchase this stuff without even realizing it, so it's worth a look to see what hand sanitizer products you have at your home, work and car.
You can follow the link below to access the complete list of hand sanitizer products that were found to contain methanol thus far, as well all the FDA is doing to diligently track down dangerous hand sanitizer products.