I-35 Tunnel Lane Closures To Last Through June
As work crews get ready to spend the first half of the summer road construction season in the I-35 tunnels, officials with the Minnesota Department of Transportation are alerting drivers to the scheduled work. A drain cleaning and inspection project will happen in the tunnels through the end of June, necessitating a variety of lane closures.
Here's what's on tap:
- The first week of June: the right lane of northbound I-35 will be closed to traffic.
- The second week of June: the left lane of northbound I-35 will be closed to traffic.
- The third week of June: the right lane of southbound I-35 will be closed to traffic.
- The fourth week of June: the left lane of southbound I-35 will be closed to traffic.
For the time being - as the COVID-19 Pandemic response is in place, MNDOT is working hard to adhere to Governor Tim Walz's Stay at Home executive order. Road work has been identified as a Critical Service by the state and will continue on.
Here are some important reminders from MNDOT about safety in regards to this specific project as well as any of the projects you might encounter this summer:
- Slow down when approaching a work zone
- Use caution when navigating through the marked-off work area
- Stay alert - work zones constantly change
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment
- Obey the posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient
- Expect delays - especially during peak travel times
For more information about this specific project or any of the scheduled road work across the state, click here to visit the Minnesota Department of Transportation's online project page.