Minnesota Twins Hosting 1987 World Series Reunion Weekend Starting Thursday
One of my best memories from high school was when the 1987 Twins came out of nowhere to win the World Series. I still remember watching all the games, then joining an impromptu parade downtown Duluth to celebrate the victory. This weekend, the Twins will host of reunion of that fun team.
There will be fun things planned starting this Thursday. The Twins currently have the following festivities scheduled:
Thursday, July 20
- 6:00 p.m. – 1987 Summer Celebration benefitting the Twins Community Fund
- Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the 1987 World Series with members of the ’87 team on the field.
- The Summer Celebration is the kickoff event for the Twins 1987 Reunion Weekend at Target Field.
- Many players from the 1987 Twins roster will be in attendance.
- The program will include interactive games, entertainment, photo opportunities, a VIP social reception, silent auction, dinner, and on-field fun.
Friday, July 21 - Minnesota Twins vs. Detroit Tigers
- Baseballs from the last outs that clinched the 1987 Western Division, the 1987 ALCS, and 1987 World Series on display in the Digital Clubhouse.
- 4:30-5:00 pm – Tom Kelly statue unveiling on Target Plaza.
- 5:30-6:30 pm – Two half-hour pregame photo sessions inside Target Field featuring Twins alumni in Puckett Atrium within the Delta Sky 360° Club. *no autographs, photos only
- Ceremonial First Pitch – Former Twins manager Tom Kelly to current Twins manager Paul Molitor
- Postgame – Fireworks Friday to the songs of Billy Joel
Saturday, July 22 - Minnesota Twins vs. Detroit Tigers
- GIVEAWAY – The first 10,000 fans 21 and older will receive a 1987 World Series Champions commemorative beer stein presented by Budweiser.
- 4:15 pm-5:15 pm – Three half-hour pregame photo sessions inside Target Field featuring Twins alumni at the Digital Clubhouse (4:15-4:45), and on the concourse near Gate 29 and in the Puckett Atrium within the Delta Sky 360° Club (both 4:45-5:15). *no autographs, photos only
- 6:00 pm-6:25 pm – Twins 1987 World Series Reunion pregame with emcee Dick Bremer begins with an introduction of the 1987 World Series Championship Team. The ceremony will include speeches by former players Kent Hrbek and Frank Viola.
- Ceremonial First Pitch – Thrown by former closer Jeff Reardon to former catcher Tim Laudner, a remake of the final out of the 1987 World Series.
- 1987 World Champions Flag – Presented by 1987 Season Ticket Holder
- Twins Territory Flag – Presented by 1987 Season Ticket Holder
- In-Game – The Twins will honor the 1987 World Champions by wearing their throwback “M” caps with the 1987 30th Anniversary patch on the side, as well as the 1987 30th Anniversary patch on the sleeve of their jerseys.
- 7th Inning Stretch – 1987 World Series alumni and families.
- Majestic Team Store – Bob Showers will be signing copies of his book The Twins in the Dome.
- Digital Clubhouse – The 1987 World Series Trophy will be on display for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th innings.
This sounds like the perfect weekend for Twins fans who want to relive some of the magic from that amazing year.