Traffic Advisories Issued for 2018 NorthShore Inline Marathon
The 2018 NorthShore Inline Marathon is ready to roll this Saturday, September 15. With an event of this magnitude comes traffic advisories near the race course.
According to race organizers, here is the official timeline of events:
5:30 a.m. - Duluth Police to close Scenic 61 at south junction of TH 61 Expressway (Duluth).
6:00 a.m. - Lake County/Two Harbors police to close Scenic 61 (CSAH 61) at north junction of TH 61 Expressway. MnDOT to shift northbound TH 61 traffic into left turn lane at CSAH 61 to allow buses to unload marathon participants.
6:15 a.m. - MnDOT and State Patrol to divert southbound TH 61 traffic onto Superior Street no later than 6:15am; close northbound I-35 at Mesaba Avenue.
6:45 a.m. - Half Marathon race starts.
7:00 a.m. - Wheels Off Half Marathon race starts.
8:00 a.m. - Tunnel 10k race starts.
8:30 a.m. - Rollerski Marathon race starts.
8:45 a.m. - Full Marathon race starts (wave start with last wave at 9:24 a.m.).
Mid-afternoon (estimated last skaters/skiers at 2:00 p.m.) – Reopening of I-35 and TH 61 to begin at the direction of Duluth Police.
Here is how the events above will impact traffic:
- TH 61 at north junction of CSAH 61: MnDOT to install a CMS (changeable message sign) indication “RACE NEXT RIGHT/BUSES ONLY” for northbound TH 61 south of CSAH 61. Race volunteers to flag buses into closed lane.
- TH 61 at Superior Street: MnDOT and State Patrol to divert southbound TH 61 onto Superior Street no later than 6:15 a.m. MnDOT to provide covers for STOP signs (MnDOT also provide covers for STOP signs at Superior St. and 60th Avenue E.). State Patrol and Duluth Police Department to install covers.
- London Road at 26th Avenue E.: City of Duluth to flash signals for duration of race. City of Duluth to close intersection on west leg and south leg of 26th Avenue E. at 6:15 a.m.
- London Road at 21st Avenue E.: MnDOT to provide barricades to prohibit vehicles and pedestrians from entering I-35. Race to provide volunteers to keep spectators from I-35 and monitor barrier between lanes.
- Northbound I-35: City to close Lake Avenue, 5th Avenue W and 3rd Avenue E. (Michigan St) ramps at 6:15 a.m. Barricades will be provided by MnDOT at each location. MnDOT to close Michigan St. at Superior St. at 6:15 a.m.
- 5th Avenue Frontage Rd: Race officials to provide cones at Lake Avenue Ramp, 1st Avenue W. and 3rd Avenue W.
- 5th Avenue Interchange: Duluth Police Department to close 5th Avenue W between Michigan St. at Railroad St. connection. Lake Avenue will remain open to traffic.
- Mesaba Detour: The official detour for Mesaba Ave bridge work will take drivers from Superior St onto Garfield Ave to Railroad St and up to Lake Ave back to the downtown area.
- General: MnDOT to provide barricades at 32nd Avenue and 36th Avenue E. The City will install “Detour” signs at appropriate locations for detoured I-35 and TH 61 traffic. All roadways will reopen upon the direction of the Duluth Police Department.
If you have yet watch the NorthShore Inline Marathon, you should check it out. It's amazing how fast they go along the course.
If you can't make it there in person, Sasquatch 106.5 will also have live online video coverage of the race Saturday.